Thursday, May 11, 2006

Sailors


I don't know if I posted this or not....I hope not. I have to bring in some CD's I have at home for some fresh, new old stuff! That's coming soon, get excited! New to you hopefully. This sailor lineup of characters is a drawing I created for my character design book that I will NOT start "selling" in this blog. I'm being good. Anyway, the story behind it is that this is is based on an assignment that our character design teacher (the great Mike Giamo) gave us when I was at CalArts. The goal was to design 5 characters that all had very different shapes and sizes (and personalities hopefully) but were all wearing the same costume or uniform. For that assignment, I designed cowboys (and a cowgirl, naturally) but since I had a "cowboy" theme already running through my book (buy it at AMAZ--oops, I caught myself!) already, I changed this image to sailors. I remember someone in the class did a good one with sailors so that stuck in my head. My brother did "chefs", I recall. You can do it with almost any job that they wear an outfit that is similar , but it works best when they are all wearing identical outfits. Five different construction workers doesn't work as well, because they would all wear different shirts, pants, belts, hats or no hats. You get it. I think it's more of a challenge to have the exact same elements to the unform, so you can really play up HOW they wear it as different. Like the scarf around these sailor's necks. Anyway, hope this is new to some of you!

BTW, yes, the guy on the right is a version of Rob, but he isn't as short as I would have made him normally. I had a short guy already drawn, so I just stretched Rob so I'd have more variety.

5 comments:

Urban Barbarian said...

So freak'n cool, Tom!

GraFX Boy said...

You posted this on February 14th, 2006. I only remember because that was my wife and I 18th anniversary.... cool illustration.... sad that I remembered your blog as a bench mark for my wedding anniversary.

Tom Bancroft said...

Wow, that is a huge compliment, John. I hope you didn't go on and on about my newest blog over dinner that night!

GraFX Boy said...

The picture of Rob was the topic at din.... wait.... now that is truly sad.... gotta go....

Heath said...

Really nice Tom! I like this style.

I made it to your side links?? Oh this is a special time indeed! Thanks for the link up buddy!